Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Feeling Better!

So after a pretty rough week of nausea, bodyaches, severe headaches, dizziness, and general "toxic" feeling my body finally pulled through!  Okay, I did have the help of daily acupuncture treatments and supplements but I'm still amazed my body worked it's way through to feeling better.  It really did feel like I signed up to be poisoned once I experienced it and wondered if I was just going to permanently feel lousy forever.  But no, the body is amazing.  That's why they still do the chemotherapy.  Otherwise it would have been pulled off the market and considered "barbaric" long ago :).  It still does a good job at killing cancer so even though we have to feel awful, in the end it does the best job.  That is what will keep me going back...hopefully:).  
  Sunday I was feeling a lot less of everything but wondered if I'd really get over this in a week.  I was told a week of being sick but by day 6 I thought, "there was no way I'll be feeling better by tomorrow" but when I woke up Monday I felt good!  I was even able to enjoy a beautiful walk with my four-year-old and ate up every minute of it.  Though energy levels aren't fully back I was still able to tidy up the house and never appreciated something so mundane as that.  It is amazing how much more you appreciate feeling good once you've experienced feeling bad.  So I'll take the bad so I can enjoy the good that much more fully.
    With all these chemo drugs in me it makes it really hard to sleep without the help of drugs.  Of course I like to do things natural as much as possible so I asked my holistic doctor if he had anything that compared to the effects of Ativan.  Though Ativan is an anti-anxiolytic it helps with sleep, nausea, and headaches too so they give it to us patients to help with "all of the above".  I don't sleep a wink on the nights I don't take it but I still don't allow myself to take it more than "every other" day to avoid addiction.  Anyway, so my doctor pulls out this concentrated form of Lavender in a pill that is supposed to have similar effects to the very same "Ativan" I had mentioned.  So I bought it and was excited, though the doc did warn me that I may have a few lavender tasting burps (sorry TMI).  I've experienced "fish burps" from fish oil and thought anything is better than that.  Though the label says to just take one my doctor said you have to take two to get the same effect as Ativan.  I took the two right before bed and within minutes I was already burping lavender.  How strange to burp floral scent (there could be a market for this) so I drank more water and got into bed.  As time went on I felt peaceful but not sleepy and the lavender burps got more powerful.  By the middle of the night I felt like I had swallowed a bar of soap the pungent taste was so overpowering.  I decided fish burps were much better because they are milder.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep and was drowning in the lavender essence.  Won't be doing that again!

2 comments:

Petit Design Co. said...

Oh my goodness I can't stop laughing! Only because I know what you mean!

A while ago I had read that lavender essential oils can help with allergies. I read that you could add a few drops to a glass of water and drink it up.It was bitter and fragrant and YES, I was burping lavender too! I didn't try it again and I only had a few drops. I can't imagine two capsules of Lavender!

I'm so glad that you can focus on the positive through this hard time.

Love you much,
Norma

kassidi bridge said...

Have you tried Melatonin? It has helped me immensely with sleep. So lad to hear you are feeling better!!