So I thought I was completely done with potty-training but suddenly in the last few weeks Haela has been having accidents every few days. She hadn't had an accident in 3 months and then out of no where she reverted back a little. Wetting her pants isn't a big deal but pooping in them is really tough for me. Is this normal to revert back a little? I know it is when there is a big change like a new sibling, etc. but what about when it seems there is no reason? If you have any suggestions please fill me in!
10 comments:
Same here with Ethan! the last 3 times he didn't make it to the potty. I don't know what to do with that boy!
I just don't understand at all...I mean really- who really wants poop in their pants. I ask this to Kenzie all the time "do you like poop? You must like it alot because you would rather sit in it and smell like it than get rid of it in the toilet" I say this on my bad days...I know a little harsh but like you said- it can be so frustrating! Good luck Charity...I have no wise words or advice. Don't you wish we could have a live in baby whisperer supernanny lady who could just tell you exactly what to do all the time???
From some of the books that I have read on Potty Training they say that that happens sometimes. So don't worry. She will get it. Just worry when she's like 12 or something and still doing it! Love you!
Thanks guys! It makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one going through this! I am glad to know this isn't totally abnormal. Of everything we have to do as parents that is just my least favorite!
When that happened with a couple of our kids, we made it an unpleasant experience for them, because it certainly was an unpleasant experience for US! We made them clean the underwear in the toilet water, carry it in a bag to the washing machine, then rinsed their bum in only cold water in the shower. It was not easy as a parent to hear them cry with that COLD water, but after two or three times it made it so they really thought twice not making it to the bathroom. Our boys were about Haela's age and we felt they were either too busy to take the time to go, watching TV, or trying to get attention. They did get our attention, but it wasn't what they expected. At least she never fingerpainted with it... we had two do that!
I had the same problem with my Abby (I think it is something about girls, because that didn't happen with Lucas); anyways, I had to revert to punishing her because she knew that it was wrong and the happiness about doing things right when training was past. So, I just figured out what was important to her and when she wet her pants, that particular object had to go to time out for the day (for her it was her blankee)- I thought it worked pretty well and I didn't have to resort to screaming and physically punishing HER, instead when she did something wrong, something she loved was taken away for a day.
Thanks for all the great advice! Today it happened again and I did make it a very unpleasant experience. I took away her favorite toy (thanks Christi!) had her do the majority of the clean-up (thanks Jen!) and I put soap in her mouth! That probably sounds mean but this girl needs serious consequences to wake her up! I told her since pooping in her underwear is grose that she needed a grose consequence and the soap was the only thing I could think of! I will let you all know how it goes!
oh my gosh I am laughing so hard right now...I just can't imagine sweet charity losing it and sticking soap in Haela's mouth- that is so funny! Seriously kids need a wake up call sometimes...you can be sweet and patient for so long and then it just doesn't work sometimes...good luck...what did Haela do? I am curious what her reaction was??
Hah! Now you know--I am not always the sweet Charity when it comes to parenting:)! I have actually surprised myself a few times only since being a parent how non-merciful I have been! Someday I will be able to truly live up to my name! So Haela bawled as the bubbles were oozing out of her mouth and then I tried more to keep my cool (in the beginning I started to lose it) by explaining to her that she knows better now and because pooping in her underwear is so yucky that she needs some yucky soap to get a taste of how yucky the situation is. I did pat her back and tell her I love her and that this is so sad but that she has to deal with the consequence. After a couple minutes I wiped off her tongue (I had used her liquid baby soap) and let her have a drink of water. I then gave her a hug and she said she was sorry for pooping in her underwear. She asked if she could have her pig back (the toy I took away) and I told her she could earn it back next time she poops in the toilet. So she pooped twice in the toilet after that and has been considerably good-tempered today--I was surprised!! We will see how the next few days fare! April, where Mckenzie is still learning the whole potty-training thing I would keep it fun with lots of exciting rewards...but Haela had already done that and DEFINITELY knew better! She has been potty-trained for months now and doesn't even need a pull-up at night so I know it wasn't just an "oops" kind of thing. I think you are actually doing very good with what you are doing and when she is still a young two. Haela wanted nothing to do with it until three. So you are ahead of the game!
Ok, so this is really late, especially since Becky just clued me into your blog. But this is my idea and it works great around here. I put a piece of gum on the counter for when Hazel poops. She doesn't get it until she does that in the toilet. I really don't have to remind her, she wants it so bad that she does it on her own. We're kind of past that point of leaving it on the counter now, she just tells me when she goes and I give her a piece of gum (sugar-free). If she doesn't go for a while and you notice, remind her that you have a piece of gum for when she does. Just an idea, good luck!
Post a Comment