Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

Kelly here. Chairity made me do that so people know its me since she is reguarly the contributor. Once again we were able to experience the "Easter with an allergic child" again. We have had some pretty great ones so far and this one was right on par with the rest. Since Haela is allergic to milk, eggs, nuts and just about anything else worth eating we have to buy her special candy. Some friends from our ward have a huge easter egg hunt every year and invited us. To make it work for Haela she was given her own easter egg zone. There actually ended up being 4 zones; young kids, kids, nut free kids and Haela's zone. She still had a great time because they coralled all the kids in one place and let them all go at the same time so haela felt the excitement of being with all the other kids, even though she didn't have to compete with them for the eggs.
Haela's candy consisted of teddy grahams and fruit snacks. She also had a couple ring pops which are pure sugar. She can have the worst kinds of candy because they are pretty much sugar which she is not allergic to.

Is this the face of a grateful child or what? She ate almost all her candy before we even left their house. She has been backsliding a little on her manners. She has taken to beating up her brother at random intervals. Sometimes she is so sweet and then the next minute she is telling us that if we don't stop telling her bad things then she will be calling the easter bunny to tell him to take back our candy. (It is amazing how fast children can turn your threats around on you.) her opinion of bad things is anything that is remotely related to a punishment or a consequence. I am finding that I lean more towards Justice than mercy with her. I guess I am just afraid that if i let her get away with too much (and she gets away with tons of stuff) then she will end up a spoiled kid who has no sense of the real world. I guess I need to remember that she is only 3 and has a couple years before the world will start beating her down. She did have learning moment the other day when she was playing with a couple boys her age. We aren't sure if they told her too or she came up with the brilliant idea, but she ended up going pee in someone elses garage. Much better than the living room but we are still trying to help her understand about the importance of modesty. We sure love her and it is funny how much you can love someone who frustrates you so much. I guess I can begin to understand how my mother and wife feel every day.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Beccarigg said...

Great Haela stories! That's so funny that she turns your threats around on you! Teya isn't talking well enough to do that, but she's on her way. If I tell her she's being too loud, she'll wait till I start talking again and say,"Stop Mommy, too loud!" Still, such a true statement about how you can love someone so much even though they can frustrate you so much. : )