Monday, February 24, 2014
Not so "uneventful" in the chemo room
I had expected today to be a very uneventful visit to the chemo room as now I am just doing the biotherapy Herceptin drug which I hear, at worst, makes people tired. I planned to be gone for an hour or two and then run to the gym to workout (yes, I started back up again last week and it has felt so good!), followed by grocery shopping. I realize tired is relative because my perception of tired is being a little slower than usual but you can still get things done. Well the tired I'm feeling is not going to allow me to workout today or run errands but just lay down and take a nap then probably chill the rest of the day. My brain feels very fuzzy too which I'm a little bummed about since I really hoped "chemo brain" would be over now that I'm done with the hardcore drugs. Oh well, hope everyone understands that I may be a little "slower" for another 7-8 months :). I'm also feeling jittery and a bit nauseated but that shouldn't be from the meds but from what I witnessed while getting my i.v. The lady across from me but facing the opposite direction had a scary reaction to the Carboplatin drug (one of the chemo drugs I had) being administered to her. She said she was feeling sick and so the nurse went to get her a barf bowl--not terribly uncommon in the chemo room--but then the nurse came back and had a nervous look on her face. She called another nurse over and that nurse went running to get the doctor. That's when it got scary. The lady started slumping down in her chair and became completely unresponsive. Her oxygen and blood pressure were dropping and three nurses gathered around her holding her face and trying to get her to come to. The doctor came out and saw her and immediately told them to dial 911 (we don't have emergency services at that specific location). They brought her oxygen and the doctor and 3 nurses kept working to get her back to a conscious state. Seeing the doctor's and nurses' faces was what made it so scary. When they look panicked then it makes it harder to remain calm. I started feeling really afraid for this lady and her poor husband who was right there helplessly watching it all. Then I remembered to say a prayer. I fervently prayed in my mind for this lady to be okay...that this would not be her time. Moments later she became aware again and the whole room breathed a sigh of relief. The funny part was the first words out of her mouth were "Oh sh__!" The doctor laughed gratefully for the comic relief. Paramedics then arrived and transported her to the main hospital for careful monitering. Now I understand why they give us such high doses of Benadryl before they administer the chemo. I wanted to ask the doctor if I could get the chemo without the Benadryl at one time because the megadose made me feel so much worse than I already was. It is rough stuff but it probably saved this lady's life today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, that is really scary!
wow, so scary. I'm glad the lady was ok. Bummer that you are still so tired and foggy, but I am so glad that you are done with the hard core drugs.
Good for you to follow the prompting to pray for her. I'm sure everyone in the room was grateful for your prayer.
Post a Comment