I decided last minute to get daring and make a big party out of losing my hair. At first I thought I would just have family and a couple of friends but the more I thought about it I thought it would be neat to open it to the public more and allow anyone I know to come and show their support as well as help break the ice to the awkwardness of losing my hair. I was really excited about this until I made the mistake of washing my hair two hours before the party. I was shedding hair pretty bad but thought if I was careful enough that I could wash and dry it so it would be clean for the party. This was a VERY bad idea as I lost a quarter of my hair in the shower and another quarter while blowdrying it. I began to get panicked and starting crying to Kelly wondering if I should just cancel the party due to all the bald spots that I didn't want revealed when we did the buzz at the end. Luckily Kelly and my good friend talked me through it and said we can just do all the hairstyles/cuts while everyone was there and then save the buzz for later. So I said a prayer and got the courage to go through with the party. I'm so glad I did as it was one of the most beautiful experiences I've had. Everyone brought food and jokes and we began with our family taking the first snips. Each person would come up and tell a funny joke and then cut a big chunk of my hair. Who knew that letting people chop off my hair could be so fun!!
After all took a chunk then my awesome hairstylist, Liz, went to work with four different cuts and styles. First she did a bob and everyone oohed and ahhed over that one. Next was the awesome Miley Cyrus cut that I told everyone I was going to do. Following that I got the spikey sassafras look which I modeled and had a lot of fun with. To finish it off we did the awaited mohawk that surprisinly looked pretty cute. Liz was so great to entertain us all in such a way. Now I have so many styles to choose from when my hair grows back!
Everyone gave me hugs and we all laughed and ate together. All in the room were radiating light and love as they were able to come and support me during this big step. As each person left they hugged me and expressed their gratitude for being able to come and be a part of something so life-changing. I was amazed at how touched they all were. That is when I felt a confirmation that making a huge party was the right thing to do in my situation. The Lord wanted to give more people an opportunity to feel they were helping me in some way and it in turn filled us all with his gracious light and love.
After the last person left and it was time to do the hard part of shaving it to the scalp I felt great courage because of being so filled from the party. Liz kept telling me as she was shedding the very last of my hair that of all the cancer patients hair she has shaved that this experience was the most happy and beautiful. She said she noticed everyone in the room filled with joy as they witnessed God's hand helping me as well as them turn a difficult thing into a positive experience. It was a night never to be forgotten.


4 comments:
I love all the cuts...i have to say that the Mohawk seriously looks incredible on you though!!!
It was an honor to be there. We gain strength from others as we get through our rough times. The light in the room was radiating from you. Thinking of you today.
M.K. Compton
Oh Charity, that is so amazing and beautiful! Thank you for writing about it. I wish I could have gone. What an incredible experience for everyone! You never cease to astound me with your courage and grace.
A huge big hug all the way from TN. You're making me cry again! Your sweet spirit touches me every time I see your FB or blog posts. If anyone can get through this it is YOU!
I LOVE the Mohawk, I can see you rocking it on the cover of some fashion magazine. You are so incredibly beautiful, filled with the light of Christ - it comes through in your radiant smile and eyes that light up with love.
I'm so lucky to have you as a friend!
- Norma
Post a Comment